Oh my, a bit of a late post! So, since 2018 I’ve written up these accomplishment and goals posts. Here’s an update for 2020 and what I have planned for 2021. If you follow me on Instagram, you might have seen them already, but let’s dive in!
Previous accomplishments and goals posts:
- My 2018 Accomplishments and 2019 Goals
- 2019 Accomplishments so far and Goals
- 2019 Accomplishments & 2020 Goals
2020, well, we all know what 2020 was. It was all kinds of things that I won’t rehash and open wounds, so to speak 😛 2020 was also a year that, somehow, lots of things were accomplished.
For 2020 goals, I made two posts in Instagram. One for general writing goals. The other specifically related to National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) goals. I used NaNoWriMo to create my own challenges for four books. We’ll get into that below.
- Goal 1: FINISHED – Oh me oh my, in January to March I wrote an epic over 100k word story inspired by L. Frank Baum’s “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” and all its interesting characters. Inspired, but not a retelling. Did you know that his books are in the public domain?
- Goal 2: FINISHED – I said I may or may not edit my first draft of “The Gold of Charmteller”, but I did. In October and a little bit in November. I finished it and as of now, today, right this moment (Feb. 21. 2020, 18:22) I have posted a chapter and have two more to go. So happy with this story! I love main character Cypur Cromlight, supporting character Wescherlie, and their friendship like no other! Weekly updates. Find it on Wattpad, people 😀
- Goal 3: Um…no – So, I had an idea for another book taking place in the World of Elgana. It, well, I wrote myself into a really bad corner and couldn’t get out, so I left it on hold. I’m working on it now as we speak, er, write. Yes, little by little The Mystery in Cataloogy (of Mystery OF, haven’t decided) is coming together slowly.
- Goal 4: NO – Querying something will not happen. Why? Because I decided to go down the self-publishing route instead 🙂
- Goal 5: NO – Poem number 800 was not reached in 2020 either! I’ve just been highly inspired for stories, but minimally inspired for poetry. I don’t know why. Anyway, I’m not going to push poetry. It just doesn’t work that way and that’s fine 🙂
- Goal 6: Kinda YES, kinda NO – Read more books, achieved. Write reviews here, not achieved because I wrote them on Instagram 😛
- NaNoWriMo Goal 1: FINISHED – I participated in NaNoWriMo 2020 and won it in two weeks. Yeah, I’m still shocked I wrote 50k in two weeks, too.
- NaNoWriMo Goal 2: FINISHED – Write four-book series? YES! Well, by the last week of December, I had arrived in the middle of writing Book 4, so I consider that as a win. I used NaNoWriMo’s self-challenges to do this. You set a word count, a goal date, and then update the word count every time you write. Keeps you going and holds you accountable 😉
- Finish book 4 of my four-book series. Well, like I said in the list above, I did indeed finish drafting my four-book series, so I can check this off 😉 ACHIEVED.
- Edit The Choice of Aurvandil by the end of February for betas. ACHIEVED.
- Ask for betas – ACHIEVED. If you are my beta, thank you so much for being my beta! 😀 Hence, ACHIEVED.
- Fix The Mystery in Cataloogy. Doing it now. We’ll just have to see what happens.
- Get someone to help me design my book interior and jacket because I’m aiming to self-publish by the end of this year.
- Get editors for the book.
- Read books and do more bookstagram.
- Edit my magic realism duology and post on Wattpad – slow and steady.
Now, those are normal goals. I have Wattpad-specific goals.
- Reach 10k reads on The Choice of Aurvandil. Well, ACHIEVED. Wattpad picked my book for EDITOR’S CHOICE and currently, as of today, it sits at 11k reads.
- Promote The Gold of Charmteller.
- Book reviews if I have time.
- Post magic realism duology to Wattpad all the way.
Try to make your own list of accomplishments and goals. Don’t add things that aren’t fun (like exams or looking for a job) or you will never want to look at the list again. Just write down fun goals and have a good year! 😀